LOST !



Do you know the feeling of losing your way when you are on a hike?

It happened to me today. I was going on a trip to Black Water , thought I had taken the right path.
It was very similar but I reacted that the hiking signs were gone and that it was overgrown with trees and grass.Some distance into the bog Imet an eldery married couple in their 80s.Iasked if it was iodine and wet on the hike and how it was in Blackwater(it is normal to stop and say hello during meeting people in the woods)they looked shcockedand said it was very wet.I talked about Blackwate rand they even told me that it was a long way to go to that water.I thought they were old and did not have a complete sense of the place.They asked me for the road back and they mentioned they were very tired after this trip.I said goodbye to them and continued into the forest between tree roots and marshy areas Sometimes I had to climb up into the forest to find the path The path yes? There were many paths !!!!and which ones should I follow?. I felt  stressed. The snowbirds and the thrush were everywhere. They probably had a nest but I had my eyes of the paths and did not care about nature or birds right now. I finally came to a little mountain  and then though ,  it was neither lack of deforestation nor lack of signage that had led me on wild roads.No, I had started on the wrong path from the begiining of the  road. I scratched my head and it rattled in the grass .Probably a mouse
A cone fell to the ground and almost hit my head.Yes it was like the forest itself laughed at me.Ahh those Squirrels !! I turned and tried to take the same route back .Not easy that either.You know when you have gone wild you do not care about anything just find the way home.
The mosquito stung and stung, I scratched and got  swollen. I Spit on the stings because I had no other remedy. It helped. The finger that  became thick as a sausage stopped aching .
I was incredibly happy when I came out of this fairytale forest
and could see birch forest,little waters and mountains again.
The area from Kanadaskogen towards Damsgårdsfjellet and Gravdalsfjellet offers an exciting and versatile terrain where you can get very varied nature experiences during a Sunday or afternoon trip. The trail pattern in the area can be a bit confusing, but it is well signposted ,but not all places hmmm... Wear footwear(rubber boots) that can withstand a little water, and one more note.For the protection of snakes!


The Canadian forest is also an important part of the cultural history of Bergen, in addition to old stone fences, cottage buildings and terraces that previously separated infield from outfield, the forest has a number of buildings that were built and used during World War II, including a prison camp used by the Germans.




The rest of the tour was sheere pleasure








At the end of the 19th century, many cabins were built in Nordnesdalen, the southeastern part of the Canadian forest. This development lasted until World War II. There were both private cabins and cabins owned by different teams. The area was especially used by Laksevåg residents, but also by city people from Bergen. There are not many cabins left today, but Viggohytten and Laksevåghytten are two of the cabins that are still used and maintained.






The history of the name
One Saturday evening in 1918, the 1st Laksevåg scout troop is on a trip to Tennebekkskogen. The scouts sit around the campfire in the evening and talk about a bit of everything, i.a. about the great forests of Canada. Suddenly, troop leader Wilhelm Wilhelmsen says "I suggest we name this forest Canada." There was a unanimous "YES" from all the boys. Little did they know at the time that the name "Canada" would become so well known that it became the official name of the forest

The scouts at Laksevåg used the forest actively. Some of the tent sites got their own names such as Old Beaverplace ,Mosquito Bay and The Mossplace.Two mountains were named North Pole and South Pole when they were easy to see. These were used for information.

At Tennebekktjernet, the scouts had a small cabin at the disposal of master painter Hofseth in the early 1920s. This the scouts called Hofsethytten. Tennebekktjernet was then named Hofsethwater. Even though the name Hofsethvannet was not used as the Canadian forest became, there are still a number of older people in Laksevåg who use this name.

Most places in the Canadian forest where it is flat there, are bogs or similar, and there are a few tent sites. For many years, the land by Blackwater has been used regularly for tent trips.

Hofsethytten had the scouts until the 1930s. In 1979/1980, 1. Laksevåg had a small cabin northwest of the forest. This was named Kjeta. This was delivered back in the 1990s due to a lot of vandalism.

From the very beginning of the scout work at Laksevåg, the Canadian forest has been an important area for outdoor activities. Many scouts have received their first overnight stay from home there. When Nygårdslien school together with Bergen municipality in 2008 was to set up two gap huts in the forest, Moseplassen was introduced on the site. The new Moseplassen is located about 100 meters from the historic Moseplassen which is now completely overgrown. But we got an old scout name introduced again.

Even today, this is one of the most important local areas for the scouts at Laksevåg. The area has been used for patrol trips, troop trips, hikes, departmental maneuvers and circuit maneuvers.
Little girl having a break under the waterfall

One of the many falls in the area


 Finally, I must mention that I met the couple again at the parking lot.They was still stressed because they did not find the car!

Yes, that's how it can go - Next time I will take some friends with me! At least to unknown places in the forest. There is nothing else  more confusing to feel lost on a sunny day while you hear there is somone in the treeline ,trees break and you feel someone watching you..ohh well it probably was a deer or some animal

Alas, I have probably read too much about the forest's elves and trolls









37 kommentarer:

  1. A beautiful place for adventures. Fortunately, you did not get lost badly.

    SvarSlett
  2. Hah hah..No!!Thank you Anne!

    SvarSlett
  3. I've been lost a few times in my life and it's nearly always in forests, even though experience has taught me to take extra care in these situations. One can understand why so many old tales exist warning children not to go into the woods.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. you have right!It is like "Little Red Riding Hood"

      Warning to the children back then and also now

      Thank you for the comment

      Slett
  4. Yes it was an adventure really! Where were your maps and compresses? Or a phone map link?
    I am also got lost a few times. Not bad. I have been misled by the paths of reindeer. The path forks and suddenly disappears unexpectedly. Then I stand and wonder for a moment.

    Fortunately, your trip was over well, all well. In any case, you experienced an interesting and memorable trip.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Aimarii!map and compass lay neatly on the shelf in the living room.Forget all about it

      I can imagine up there in Finland it is easy to get lost in the woods and swamp!Great you were looking for the Raindeer Wow!

      Slett
  5. Hola Anita, bonito lugar,a veces perdiéndose,descubre sitios muy bonitos, feliz día. Un abrazo

    SvarSlett
  6. Buenas noches Anita, la verdad que no resulta muy gratificante perderse en un bosque y ademas sola, fue una pequeña aventura pero con final feliz. La zona es maravillosa para perderse unos días de acampada.
    Un fuerte abrazo y buen resto de semana.

    SvarSlett
  7. I am very happy to hear that Canada occupies such a prominent place in Norway. What a fine name for the forest! Getting lost can be terrifying, Anita, and I am glad that everything worked out well in the end. It is probably a good thing to take a compass with you when you go on this kind of hike alone. Better still, have a companion. I hope the elderly couple finally found their car.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you David!So many of us out walking these corona times so many get lost

      Yes Canada wood is a great name and a great place to spen d some freetime

      Slett
  8. I would be scared getting lost if it was dark out. You found your way and had some get pics along the way.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I even wont think about it if it was dark!
      Two times i have been lost on the mountains high up by unexpecting fog.Even the dog was afraid and walked behind me like "you take control" now

      Sometimes im stupid walking thinkin it will be okey but next time i will use a gps

      Thank you for nice reply!

      Slett
  9. I would have been so scared. You stayed calm and managed to find your way out. I don’t know if I would have been able to do that.

    Such an interesting story about a Canadian forest in Norway. Thank you for sharing.

    SvarSlett
  10. I have my own song and dance routine about being lost which began as a joke, but has some factual background: Drop me off in the midst of a few hundred mile wilderness with only the clothing on my back -- be it woodland/desert/whatever -- and I will walk out a few days later healthy and happy and a few pounds heavier; put me in a town larger than four square blocks and I will manage to get myself lost.

    Whoever suggested maps and a compass was on the "right course," Anita, and these are the days of GPS. Also, remember "no fear" ....

    All is well that ends well, as did your adventure, and you came home with some beautiful photographs to share with us as a bonus .... take care and stay sweet and be brave ....

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Heh heh one can get lost in a city as well!But that never has happen to me..It had to be Tokyo or Bankok !there i really had gone wild traveling alone

      I think nature is your field or playground..I like it too but sometimes not ..it depends..I shall try to be brave out there in the wild but also on work !(you know what I mean)Ok see you soon!Greetings Anita

      Slett
  11. What a thrilling adventure! Fascinating description and history too!

    SvarSlett
  12. A lovely walk could have turned to disaster, thank goodness you found your way.
    All our walkways are well kept but if we wander off that track we might end up in the wrong place or lost.
    Nice read your post.
    Take care.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thats the problem when there are no signs..But it turned out all righ

      thanx for writing Margaret!

      Slett
  13. You are a very good guide for the natural beauty of your country and a little adventure, who wouldn't like a little adventure to tell in the evenings back home again.

    SvarSlett
  14. Hello Anita,
    What a fantastic story!! Very nice to see these pictures of this wonderful area. Shot 7 is so nice.
    Really amazing to go out for a walk and take pictures. And of course don't lost the way back.
    But today you have Google and bring you back to the place you have started...hihi...!!

    Greetings, Marco

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. yes thank good for Google!!Maps!!hih hih

      Thank you very much for always nice comment Marco!

      Slett
  15. Amazing scenery. Thanks for sharing your hike with us :)

    SvarSlett
  16. Anita que bello lugar para perderse Saludos

    SvarSlett
  17. Adventure indeed...lovely photographs too

    SvarSlett
  18. Belas fotografias dum sempre apetecido contacto com a natureza.
    Abraço.
    Juvenal Nunes

    SvarSlett
  19. Beautiful images Anita, they are lovely, the wonder of nature.

    SvarSlett
  20. Gracias Anita por tu visita que tenga un bonito domingo Saludos

    SvarSlett
  21. Me ha encantado tu ruta Anita. Esor paseos por la naturaleza nos alegran y calman el espíritu,q ue en estos toempos falta nos hace.
    Las fotos preciosas.
    Gracias por compartir tu paseo amiga.
    Te deseo un buen domingo.Cuídate.
    Un abrazo.

    SvarSlett
  22. Wow nice story and beautiful pictures

    SvarSlett