The Mandarin Duck (Aix Galericulata) Siljustøl ,Bergen- Norway

Actually think it enjoys celebrity life.
 Looks almost artificial, like wearing a carnival costume made by Disney.
Very pretty handsome duck
Mandarin duck is a bird species in the duck family. It is a medium-sized grass duck.
 The male has magnificent colors, and some of the wing feathers 
stand straight up from the back like two reddish-brown sails. 
The female is brownish gray with white head drawings.
 Mandarin birds originates from East Asia, but was introduced to Europe
 and also breeds in semi-wild and wild condition here in some places.
 Nesting and breeding attempts have also been proven a few times in Norway.
 Its plumage has made it popular as an ornamental bird in bird ponds in parks and zoos, even in countries outside its natural range. The mandarin duck grows to 41-49 centimeters long and has a wingspan of 71 centimeters. . The mandarin duck prefers small waters
 with trees along the shore, where it builds its nest in holes in the trees.
 It prefers to seek food on land.The flight is rectilinear and fast. 
 
It has been very popular  to visit this rare bird that can now be seen   a few kilometers away from my home https://en.visitbergen.com/things-to-do/siljustol-home-of-composer-harald-saeverud-p826353Not long ago I commented on a post by Bob Bushell http://birdsfod.blogspot.com/ where he had posted a picture of this bird. I told him that it is at least 20 years ago since a Mandarin Duck  was seen  here in Bergen.But well.Now a bird,strange enough, appeared here with us again. I struggled down to this water where it should be. It was not difficult to spot the place because there were a lot of people there. But I could not see any bird? "Where is it I asked?" Look straight down said  a  bird intuiast. And there it was! Right in front of my legs up to the water's edge under a small branch.

It was so small! I thought it was big! I got some nice small talk about the bird , how long it has been here, where it comes from (No one knows, but they have observed one also in Oslo).This young bird, a male , is said  to be in eclipse suit (All ends do this changes plumage) So  here we stood . With large telephoto lenses and small Iphones.Everyone wanted a picture.I baited it a bit and it  was greedy for food.It   flew fast from the others too catch a snack .
Then  later , it swam more for itself.
You can see the difference between a Common Duck
 and a Mandarin Duck in the last photoes



In Chinese folklore, the mandarin ducks are considered to form lifelong couples,
 unlike other species, and therefore the mandarin duck
 has become a symbol of marital fidelity.

I took so many shoots of this bird
Thinking it will be along time to next visit

From this side!

And this side!
I think it looks like a bathing duck for children!

Here you can see the difference between a  normal duck and this precious Mandarin!
Later it was mostly alone swimming  close to the shore and the willows


So here I come with all of the bird pictures and stories.
 For me, it is the experience that counts so the quality of the pictures is not always as good.

Updates! Det er gått noen dager ,kansje en uke,siden jeg tok disse bilder
i skrivende stund er jeg på jobb Om natten går vi ut og trekker luft,tar oss en kopp kaffe og nyter den vakre stjernehimmelen .Jeg jobber sammen med en securtitasvakt,en riktig viking!.Han forteller om sin tid på sine reiser i Sibir.Der han drepte en svarbjørn med to skudd i hjertet og ett i pannen bare for å være sikker.Han parterte og åt kjøttet grådigt og det var godt.I Russland er det ikke love å skyte svartbjørn i villmarken kun ved nød.
Ja det er mangen samtaler som utspinner seg om natten.Jeg er en ivrig tilhører
Jeg ser på disse bildene og tenker
Jeg må opp igjen å se på denne anda.
Hvor vakker den må være nå i rimfrost på gress og vann
 omringet av høstens vakre blader 
 Snøen er rett rundt hjørnet.En kan kjenne det på lukten
Updates 2
Ja så ble det gjort en second tur til Siljustøl for å se på denne vakre anden
Jeg var tidlig oppe,fikk ikke sove om natten, fordi jeg hadde gått på jobb på en  fridag(måtte jo reise hjem da) og var kjempevåken etter mye kaffedrikking
Vel morgen stund har gull i munn.Rimfrost over vannene.Solen som strekker seg frem
Den gode lyden av Vintertrosten som synger på min vei
Men akk..Ingen fulg??Ingen Mandarin and ??

Ohh shiit!
Fuglen er fløyet!
Så det var første og siste gang jeg kansje får se denne fuglen
Jeg har spurt overalt på fuglegruppen og andre steder!Folk grinerTil og med store flotte menn!

Trist at den er borte!Som en sa "Jeg er så takknemlig for å fått love til å se denne sjeldne fuglen"

Men jeg har mine mistanker
På ett bilde er den plutselig ringmerket!What??!
Kan den ha blitt merket og flyttet til ett annet tjern slik at den får være i fred mon tro

Vel hvem vet.Det forblir en hemmelighet blant kjennere
Til dere alle som venter på posten Sølv Reven så kommer den senere

I morgen skal jeg på gården og lære meg å skyte med Rifle eller Hagle


Håper alle har det bra og så seest vi snart!

Anita











  


52 kommentarer:

  1. Es precioso Anita, tan pequeño y simpático es una verdadera preciosidad, tiene un colorido que enamora. ¡Me encanta ese bello patito! Cuidarlos que nadie les pueda hacer daño.
    Un fuerte abrazo y gracias por mostrarnos esa preciosidad.

    SvarSlett
  2. Everything you wanted to know about the Mandarin duck, but were afraid to ask. Hmmmm .... that statement sounds sort of familiar. Sorry, Anita. I am teasing ....

    The first and only places I have seen Mandarin ducks are in Europe. I had to look it up to learn what it was on the first occasion. They are so jewel-like, so fantasy-like, so toy-like. If I were to see one in North America, I would have to assume it either escaped from captivity in a zoo or some-such, or had been caught in a jet-stream-like wind while traveling from one pond to another in Europe.

    Your photography, as I have come to expect, is exquisite. Super post, Anita ....

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Fram!Yes very toy like!But so small!Idont know where it came from but it is said there has been observed a wild Female duck with five chicks a place in southern Norway-but I dont know if they can excist here in cold Norway?!Thank you again for reply Fram!

      Slett
  3. It is arguably the most beautiful duck in the world, with our own Wood Duck vying for the title. In fact I have a book dedicated to these two speces. They are both remarkable. I am sure you were happy to see it, Anita - a beautiful male too!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Yes it is beautiful and the change in the feathers are amazing!They change fast!Thank you David!

      Slett
  4. Ese mandarin es precioso. Tuviste mucha suerte al verlo y te dejó unas fotos preciosas. Buenas vivencias te cuenta tu compañero de trabajo.
    Buen fin de semana Anita. Cuídate.
    Un abrazo.

    SvarSlett
  5. Mandarin duck is beautiful, so lucky to have captured it.
    Interesting tale re the bear, thank goodness we don't have to contend with them down here.
    Take care.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ohh you know these guys are bragging alot But it is nice to listen to them

      Thank you for the comment!

      Slett
  6. Ohhh, vilka fina bilder och så avundsjuk jag blir! Arten har förvisso observerats även i Sverige men alltid på en dagsresas avstånd. Med bil.
    Förstår jag rätt ska du lära dig skjutning med gevär? Varför? Jag som trodde Bergen var ett fridfyllt ställe...
    / Deerhunter

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hei Klas!Angående geværet så har jeg lyst å lære å håndtere det på grunn av mine reise til Svalbard så snart det er trygt.Der er man nødt å kunne håndtere ett våpen for i det hele tatt være ute.Bli med til Svalbard! hehe heh bare tuller.Desverre forsov jeg meg i dag og må ta turen i morgen.Ja takk for kommentar !Jeg stresser litt med det nye kameraNikon D7500, Aperture modus!Men mye å lære på you tube heh heh Vi sankkest God Helg!

      Slett
  7. It is a beautiful duck, so colourful!

    SvarSlett
  8. Dear Anita,
    the mandarin duck is really a particularly pretty bird that looks like a work of art. Hihi, "a Disney carnival costume" is a good description too! : -DDD I've seen ducks like this before, but I don't know whether they came naturally or were released. It's a shame that the duck is gone again, but you saw it and enjoyed it. And maybe he'll come back one day?!?
    Hugs and best wishes,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2020/10/salzkammergut-im-oktober-2020.html

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Rostrose!I hope he will have a visit here as I live heh heh

      Wish you a happy happy weekend!

      Slett
  9. Unreal looking duck.
    Sweet, I would like to protect.
    Gorgeous beautiful bird.
    Great pictures. Water reflected image like painting.

    Great that this bird has brought you a lot of joy.
    I hope it's safe somewhere.

    Happy weekend! :)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you for nice comment..No we ordinary people have not seen it again..May be it went to a mountain water--But I am glad i could see it..Such a strange foreign bird!

      Slett
  10. Bonitas fotos del pato, por aquí no los hay de esos, por lo menos yo no los veo.

    Saludos.

    SvarSlett
  11. So you've portrayed them just as nicely. Here in the netherlands you see them but strangely enough not in the canals of amsterdam.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you SC! I have heard bird watchers in the Netherlands went bananans for to have a photo of the Eurasian jay hih hih we have alot of that bird :)))

      Slett
  12. It is a very beautiful bird. There was this bird here a few years ago. We look for it in the water for many days. It was then found in the park on the grass. Surprisingly small bird.

    SvarSlett
  13. What a beautiful bird. I agree with your comment that it looks like they have a costume on. :) What great captures you got of this bird, very nice indeed. Have a wonderful weekend Anita

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ohh thank you Bill!Wish you a nice weekend as well ::))

      Slett
  14. Beautiful Mandarin duck images, they are always my favourites Anita.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ohh thanx Bill!So glad you made a comment !

      Slett
  15. How fortunate you were to see the mandarin duck. He is a beauty. You took great photos to share with us. I have never seen one of these creatures.

    I did skeet shooting once which I really enjoyed. Good luck with the guns.

    I cannot imagine working at night. Our daughter does night shifts as a nurse. I was spoiled as a teacher, working days.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much Marie!My son is also teaching..but as a student..two more years to go..So lovely your daughter isa nurse!To work at night can be nice as well much freetime if one wants and good money too

      See you soon Marie!I wonder how it goes with that brand new white El bike! :)))

      Slett
  16. Hello Anita
    I only saw this duck once in my life, when the camera wasn't there .. a shame, nice photos of an even more beautiful duck
    Greetings Frank

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Frank!Sorry you did not have the camera with you..happens to me alot heheh--

      Today you gave me a good comment!Thanx again Frank!

      Slett
  17. Wau, så vakkert! Fra bladet så jeg bilder om at denne fantastiske fuglen også har blitt sett i Finland. Den er virkelig som et karnevaldrakt. Jeg synes du er takknemlig når du fikk se den!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hei Mirjam!Ja jeg er veldig glad for å ha sett en slik fugl engang vill i livet..Den var veldig smuk men sint etter mat og fløy myyye raskere enn de andre endene..så noe spesielt med den var det!Tusen takk for kommenatar da!

      Slett
  18. Hello Anita,
    What a very nice pictures of this wonderful duck. They are so amazing and special to see him in the water of Norway.
    Mostly I have seen them only in the Zoo.

    Greetings, Marco

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thanx Marco!i hope it went to a warmer country..It would not survive here in this cold cold winther

      I wonder what would be next?A giant snake or something..or an orangutang hehehhe..thanx again!

      Slett
  19. What a beutiful creature, I think I've never seen one before. Lovely pics <3

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Yes it is even with a small camera..you should see those with big big lenses and suuuper cameras--Specially when it ecilipsed in the feeathers..They say it is therefor it went away(finished muting) thanx very much for comment!

      Slett
  20. The mandarin looks quite spectacular and cute. You lovely captured the duck at close distance and sounds like a gem spotting after years of disappear.

    Have a nice week ahead :)

    SvarSlett
  21. Kaunis lintu ja hyvät kuvat 🤗❤
    Liityin myös lukijaksi.

    SvarSlett
  22. It is a very colorfully beautiful bird. Really like a toy duck!
    I read more about mandarin ducks. Are they quite wild birds in Norway?
    This duck you photographed wanted to introduce himself to the camera. I knew for sure my beauty.
    I still admire your pictures.

    SvarSlett
  23. Hei!Thank you Aimarii!Yes it knows its beauty.We dont know where it came from but it is gone now.May be new water somewhere in Bergen.
    Ohh the photoes thank you!they are not so clear and good but it do not matter
    ,for me.I like the story and the feeling.So now I have to see your new post!

    SvarSlett
  24. A very nice post.
    The Mandarin Duck is so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    SvarSlett