PAA TUR !

Today was a beautiful sunny weather day -
 I planned a fishing trip Since there are a lot of good fish in the water
 such as sea trout, cod - mackerel, ling. I love to make food and homemade fish cakes are nice to have in the freezer for the winther

Stone Age Settlement

Five hundred meters from the road over Straume bridge I saw a new sign. What was this? I looked and was amazed. A few steps away from me it was a Stone Age Settlement. I did not know this. When I got home. I googled the info The reason I had not seen the sign before was that the old copper sign had been stolen. Yes people take everything with them as a souvenir.

 A lovely place to stay
Strong tidal currents.One has to be very careful!
Many accidents have happened here.
One central was a big white cruiser that went first.
The little boat with a family did not wait and went into high waves
The captain of the little cruiser lost control of the boat and the family was trown to the water
This was a situation where life could easily have passed. Had some of the kids
disappeared inside the waves, then they would have great difficulty being on the surface,
even with life jackets. This is due to turbulence and strong vertical currents.But it is a popular place for fishing since the fishes almost stand with an open mouth to catch food
When traveling to work I often see the Grey Heron sitting on this spot
I wondered what he did and today I found out.It was enjoying itselves with shells
Look how neat he/she has done this.All in the same place it had a storage!Also
Some strange fish skeletons!I wish I could know what fish it was.Never seen such-The Sea Gull and Oystercatcher held me with company and every time I went to fish the Gull cirkulated around just to see if he could take a fish or two.Clever bird!


Straume bridge, built in 1947 over Nordåsstraumen between
 Grimstadfjorden and Nordåsvatnet, 15.6 m long span, total length 37.6 m. 
A former tilting bridge was built 1910–14, after this
 the case was taken up in 1882 due to many drowning accidents.
As mentioned above, the bridge over Nordåsstraumen was built in 1947.
 It replaced an older tilting bridge, built in 1910-14.
At Ruskeneset by Søreide, two caves were excavated by Haakon Shetelig and Aug. Brinkmann in 1914-16. Even today, over a hundred years after the excavations, the finds are in a special position and provide a very special insight into the living environment in the Neolithic and Bronze Ages.
A hidden gem
The rocks are well sheltered by Straume on the south side
 of the outlet to Nordåsvannet, 8-10 m above sea level.
 When they were in use in the Stone Age and Bronze Age,
 the sea was 5-7 meters higher than today and the outlet oasis 
was thus a wide strait with strong currents and good opportunities for hunting and fishing.
 Today, the road to Søreide goes over one part of the settlement.
the photo under is what it could look like how a fanabuer lived 5400 years ago
The bone material from Ruskeneset is difficult to link to specific phases, primarily because the excavation methods were rough, but also because the cultural layers were disturbed in recent times. Three of the bones are C14-dated to the Bronze Age. There are bones of domestic animals cattle, pigs, sheep and dogs. The bones of wild species dominated the material; they are of deer, seals and whales, but also beavers and bears. There are many species of swimming birds present, including the extinct vulture.(Great Auk) Eagles were also found. The fish bones consisted of cod fish, but also species such as porcupine and gilthead seabream. Seven species of shellfish species were documented. Brinkmann's study of the bone material of seals and deer showed that it was primarily bones of extremities that were preserved on Ruskeneset, not the carcasses. He believed that the carcasses had been taken home to the main settlements. Ruskeneset was thus interpreted as a hunting station; most of the year people had lived elsewhere, and agriculture and animal husbandry were included in the acquisition in addition to hunting. This is an interpretation that still seems reasonable for this settlement.
This was once the city's most beautiful place


The archaeological material from the Neolithic consists of rock axes, arrowheads, scrapers and knives. Many different bone tools were found, such as fishing hooks, various forms of harpoons, points and knives. There were also many kinds of needles and blunt tools. There were also objects, both arrowheads and spears, which were worked on the surface and the edge with a special printing technique where a tip of bronze or deer antler was used. In the layers there was also a lump and a small plate of bronze.Many of the bone tools from the Neolithic and Bronze Ages from Ruskeneset are completely unique. The Iron Age finds were more numerous,  iron needles, knives and nails were found. In addition, there were shards of glue vessels and coarse ceramics in the youngest layers.
Like many others in Western Norway - such as Holmefjordlleren in Fusa - archaeologists found human bones in the cultural layers on Ruskeneset. They came from three children and three adults. One of the skeletons had a flint dagger from the Neolithic as a tombstone.The graves tell both about cultural conditions and about who the deceased was. They show what the dead brought with them to the grave, and where in the grave these objects were placed. In addition, the location and shape of the grave monuments, as well as their structure and size, tell about the significance of the grave. Burials could also almost take place under the floor of the settlement. Examples can be found at Ruskeneset outside Bergen, with a boy from the dagger era (he got a dagger with him in the grave), approx. 2150 BC The boy on Ruskenesten was buried under a slab, an overhang under a rock wall. The graves show that the dead were buried with care, and that they were given tools in the grave. The funerals could mark the bond of the dead to those who lived, and to the place where the family lived. In prescriptive societies, funerals could almost mark the rights to the area and emphasize who belonged to the place. Some of the skeletal remains gave a C14 dating to the end of the Neolithic.



Ruskeneset
Ruskeneset, arkeologisk funnsted under gården Søreide i Fana. På sørsiden av Straume bro ved Nordåsvannet ble det oppdaget to hellere med et tykt avfallslag etter folk som har levd her i forhistorisk tid, fra yngre bronsealder og inn i tidlig jernalder (omkring 1000 f. Kr.– omkring 500 f. Kr.) To boplasser ble avdekket. Den ene lå øst for broen, men er i dag ødelagt av Ytrebygdsvegen, mens den andre ligger noe høyere og på vestsiden av veien. Vannstanden var den gang ca. 7 meter høyere enn nå og strandlinjen helt annerledes. Mens området var nærmest utilgjengelig fra land, var det fra sjøsiden lett å legge til hellerne med båt. Menneskene som bodde her, levde av jakt, fangst og fiske. Området rundt hellerne på Ruskeneset var et eldorado for en jeger i forhistorisk tid. Her var et rikt marint dyreliv med utmerkede fiskemuligheter og gode skjellbanker, mens øyer og strender var yngleplasser for sel. Løvskogen ga livsbetingelser for et variert dyreliv der hjorten streifet omkring i flokker. I fjellet på Ruskeneset er det et lag av kvartsitt som fangstfolket brukte til å lage redskaper av.Funnet på Ruskeneset er et av de mest sentrale og viktige oppdagelser som forteller om den blandingskultur, fangst og jordbrukserverv, som ble skapt ved slutten av steinalderen og bronsealderen. Haakon Shetelig stod for utgravningene i årene 1915/16, og fant rester av rik fauna, tallrike pilespisser, angler, harpuner av ben og så mange rester av menneskeskjeletter at det kan tyde på permanent bosetning.

For the hobby archaeologist

Memento;At least five graves of at least five individuals have been found at the edge of the dwelling place. The skeletons indicate that at least three of them were older people. One of them had and a stone dagger in the grave. In addition, they are a girl in toolv, thirteen years of age ,one one small child probably five six years.It is with reverence I stand here and look at the place.Where people have enjoyed agriculture and fishing .Today the place stands foremost as the archaeologist left it many years backThe work of re-examining the place. The economy is central here. But I hope it will be a protected cultural place.As you see of the photo it was a must to be well dressed in all things you did back then.-you can blow the photo up and also see some of the findings.

The day that should be fishing went to be an amazing day.It is always something to wath in nature if you have the eyes with you
Those who wonder If I caught some fish Yes I did and today I had salmon for dinner.The rest of if goes to kittycat 
When one looks at this in perspective ,then and now, then I think we humans probably had the same feelings, joys and sorrows
It's nice to be part of the big picture.

Thank you for watching!













55 kommentarer:

  1. An incredibly interesting post, Anita, enlivened as always by your entertaining style of writing about your adventures. It was no surprise to read of human settlement in the area, and I am reminded that Nordic people have been hardy adventurers for centuries. Fresh fish is one of the greatest food treats one may have and the thought of making fishcakes gives me the urge to do so. I haven't made them for ages! Yesterday I had salmon for lunch, but even bought "fresh" here it is already at least a couple of days old when the consumer gets it from the store. I will look forward to your next post. It is always a pleasure, Anita. I wish you lived locally and we could go on a walk together!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you David!to be on a walk with you and Miriam would be a pleasure.May be in some time :)It is very interesting every step we do and it is always something to see and watch and talk about.I belive the old folks have much to learn us and then we give it away to the young ones.Here I dont trust the food shops selling "fresh fish" and it is more expencive then meat(I have been poisoned alot of times )So it is better to fish what you can oneself(I have got two big sea fishing rod so I can get far away out in the fjord.Fish is always good to consume and very healthy..Homemade is the best!Tell Miriam to make you some..I cant forget the oat biscuits.. was it with blueberries?Miriam made I think.I have made them too and it is a healthy snack on tour.Ok thank you for nice comment David & Miriam!

      Slett
  2. Buenas fotos de tu excursión.

    Hay gentes para todos. Nunca he visto a nadie por aquí, qu se llevara un cartel anunciador, que indique un lugar histórico. Eso hace que muchas personas no puedan llegar allí.

    Besos

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you !Yes it is difficult because of ,now, the high grass and in winther it is ice and snow there..But may be in late autumm one can see whats hiding!wish you a happy weekend!

      Slett
  3. That is a really lovely informative post.
    Sounds like good fishing there, many would love to be able to see the fish as you described.
    Take care and thanks for sharing.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Ohh Margareth the fish is all gone now but somday I will share the recipy of the fishcakes--thank you for taking your time to write!

      Slett
  4. You live in an extraordinarily beautiful place.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I think we all live in beautiful places it is so much hidden in the ground But sadly they want to build highways and new roads and houses(and we need that too)so only the very old findings will be of a culture matter thanx for writing!

      Slett
  5. This was a fascinating read which I really enjoyed. I love the way you connected today with the Bronze Age people. It is beautiful there. Love your photos!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Maria!I thought none would like it because to day, it is fast and furious everything ,so I am glad you find it nice

      Wish you a peacful weekend !

      Slett
  6. Some of your posts are a sheer delight to view and to read, Anita, and this is one of them. For me, it always has been fascinating to learn how all life forms lived and died -- especially those which are our ancestors -- and, it would seem, the same bug is capturing you. The answers to most of our questions, I believe, come through the study and the understanding of our history.

    Fish create another story. Not since I was a boy have I had the inclination to catch them or to prepare them or to eat them as food. Fishing is a form of hunting in my mind. I once thrived on doing them, but like to think I have outgrown them in an ever-increasing appreciation of life itself. Some of this appreciation has come by learning things directly from the experiences of hunting.

    And, I agree, the world around you has incomparable beauty and you, Norsk jente, capture it wonderfully with your photography ....

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Fram!I think you have done a post like this before..I can remember a post and photo of a beautiful jewelery that was found in a viking grave..On pinterest there are alot of photoes from that time ..I did not now Pinterest had so much good stuff !So i have made myself an account there so to see the retro photoes from old time like viking findings, old castles ,beautiful Film noir pix and so on it goes..About fish .Have to eat it.It is healthy.And Now when it is none out fishing I can have the area by myself.( have to say it came along a guy who wanted to talk soo much and learn me how to fish I packed my gear and went away..when he got a telephone call.I thought after maybe I was mean and I told him later he was a good fisher !You know " Det står ei friar uti gar’e, mor lilla".(old norwegian children song) Thank you for coming here Fram!Looking forward to your next post!

      Slett
    2. but do not misunderstand.The photoes here are mine and the research i got from old newspapers and the university pluss the locals living on top of the hill

      Slett
    3. I periodically do a post similar to this, Anita, and I do not misunderstand. Information comes from personal experience, from research, from talking with people, and what is collected must be organized if it is to be published. You do excellent work and I truly do appreciate it .... and, I am very much interested in learning more about our past -- especially in relation to my ancestral origins.

      As for me, I have no immediate plans for another post .... blame it on the summer doldrums. Sooner or later ....

      Slett
    4. Iam glad you understand.You know since I dont have you eye to eye I had to clarify .
      There will be similar post to this but sometimes The covid dont let us do what we want.In the last days we have 3 more infected ,young youth(18-20 years) from the millitary base Håkonsvern(marine)and one of them is hospitalized-they got the virus probably on the public travel bus or city rail..So we got an emailfrom our municipality yesterday to be careful when travelling to town or around with the buses..We have not had any infected since april So we are all very careful right now.Today I will have a long walk in the nature..Thanx for reply and take care you as well

      Slett
  7. Hello Anita,
    A very interesting post. Great to read more about the history of that place.
    You have made nice pictures of that wonderful nature area. So fantastic.
    And a nice place with that little harbor with the boats. Not bad to be.

    Greetings, Marco

    SvarSlett
  8. Un lugar encantador, bonitas fotos, feliz día.
    Saludos

    SvarSlett
  9. Svar
    1. Thank you Anna!Next time i have got some remedy for your mosquitosbites hih hih

      Wish you a nice weekend!

      Slett
  10. Very interesting Anita. We don't really know nothing about the stone age and then such find. Great.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I did not know either..so strange the things that surround us but we never know or see!

      Thank you for coming here to me SC!

      Slett
  11. Hi, Anita :) I enjoyed this post very much! Fantastic photos and historical information. You're a knowledgeable naturalist, excellent tour guild, historian, photographer and story-teller! This stone-age settlement indeed holds many hidden treasures and you, My Dear, are a treasure too! Thank you for sharing another fascinating and beautiful day in Norway! Stay well and happy, Anita the Explorer :) I look forward to your next adventure :)

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Heh heh KELLY!! Adventure and adventure!I had to go to the dentist today..You know..I hate it..Specially the injections with adrenaline..My heart starts jumping for seconds!!I decided to not have any anesthesia for the deep tooth inflammation..I didnt feel any pain more then I could bare and the dentist said I was very brave!heheh..But it coast me ca 2000kr then --Uff Uff Uff..Ok that was my adventure today..Hope you are all right and behaving nice beautiful california girl .See you later

      Slett
    2. Sorry I ment of course dental anesthesia lidocain .Dentist like to use lidocain with adrenaline bacause of the bleeding But I hate it and will not have it.Better without any anesthesia

      Slett
    3. Ouch, nothing worse than tooth pain! I wish you to feel better soon and I agree with you, the less medicine the better. The natural way is always the best. I am happy and safe so all is well in my world today. See you soon :)

      Slett
  12. Such a fascinating post, Anita! What a treat! We live on a planet of such beauty! Your last paragraph - that people of ancient eras had "the same feelings, joys & sorrows" - says it all. Thank you for the travel through time from a very human perspective!

    SvarSlett
  13. You know well history and can write interesting too about that. Succeeded in fishing and archeology.
    I hope you are probably safe in the waters when fishing. I use to fish too, but my fish are mainly perch, pike and brook trout.
    I like your pictures, They are great and I would also love to spend time on the beach for the first picture.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you very much Aimarii Perch, pike and brook trout are very good mountain fishes!Ilove to fish in the mountains with specially with flyfishing with a worm or insect.I try to be careful while fishing specially now..Before when young I could travel to much lonely places to fish without being afraid but today is not so..Glad you came here to write a note to me!wish you a happy week!

      Slett
  14. ¡Preciosa y muy interesante esta entrada Anita. ¡Felicidades! es un maravilloso lugar para perderse y disfrutar de todo su entorno. Me alegro que el día fue fructífero en cuanto a la pesca y se te dio bien, más no se puede pedir.
    Un fuerte abrazo y buena semana.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Sí, estoy de acuerdo. Uno no necesita nada más que descansar y relajarse en la naturaleza, nosotros que podamos. La pesca es una buena recreación. ¡Pero muchos mosquitos! jajaja

      Slett
  15. You are absolutely right, Anita, we must look carefully at everything around us. There is so much to see and enjoy.
    Wonderful photos, great post.

    SvarSlett
  16. Historical ruins are very valuable. The loss is disappointing.
    However, saving is very difficult.
    The number of people with different values has increased.



    Beundring for din vakre verden.

    Jeg ønsker deg alt godt.
    Hilsen og klem.

    Fra Japan, ruma ❃

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. I totally agree Ruma.The number of people with different values are rising.It is a wheel of money spinning faster and faster.We forget to sit down and relax and think

      Thank you very much for coming here Ruma.I admire you so much.Greetings Anita

      Slett
  17. Wonderful photos, and thank you for sharing all the interesting information!
    Greetings Janitha.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thnk you Janitha!Iam also amazed by your blogI think everyone must see!

      Slett
  18. Prachtig opgezette serie weer Anita, echt genieten.
    Groet Kees.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. thank you very much Kees!Glad you found it nice :)))

      Slett
  19. Even man could not make this clean like the sea gulls with shells! The fish skeleton looks like a bird’s feather on one end and I too wonder what kind of fish it is. And it’s an interesting read on the archaeological site and the burial process with a killing tool along the corpses. Truly an amazing place just aside an active bay that should be preserved well for the future to look back. Thanks for sharing… Lovely photos

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Thank you Jeevan!I can not find out what fish it is and there were many of them..

      Yes there are many places like this but well hidden for the public

      Slett
  20. I like Norway very much. I visit every year. Tromso and Skibotn. Thanks for your great photos.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hello Matti!So nice to see you!Thank you for the comment!

      Slett
  21. Hi Anita, everyday that I walk, I always come across something new to see. The scenery is always different depending upon the weather, people doing work on their property. It's always a pleasure to see and learn something new. This is a wonderful post, it's amazing when our eyes are open to new things. Thanks for sharing this and as always your photos are a pleasure to see. Take care, stay safe and have a wonderful new week.

    SvarSlett
  22. You are so right!Everything is different due to weather light and so on..It is nice to be out though thats the best for me..and i think for all of us..much better mood and so on..Thank you for coming here Bill !i appreciate it very much

    SvarSlett
  23. These are gorgeous shots Anita! I feel so sorry that people took the copper signs but these photos gave so much beauty to my screen. Norway really is mesmerizing and gives me images of peace and solitude and stillness. I wish you a great new week Anita!

    SvarSlett
  24. Du fick en toppendag med såväl arkeologi som lax att ta med hem. Jag fick en historielektion.
    Alldeles säkert har just sajter som denna du beskriver så bra tjänat som bo/-jaktplatser efterdom allt jägarsamhället behövde redan finns där. Vatten och mat. Vad mer kan man begära? Kryddat med den alltid förekommande vackra norska naturen ger paradis på jorden.
    / Deerhunter

    SvarSlett
  25. Hi Anita, beautiful photos. I hope you caught enough fish, I love to see the photos of your country. Greetings Caroline

    SvarSlett
  26. Beautifully captured in pictures and words. Thank you.

    SvarSlett
  27. Great pictures and such beautiful views♥ So exciting to visit such places, history is interesting. I'm glad you got some fish:) Have a nice day!

    SvarSlett
  28. Wow! This is a beautiful place to catch fish and enjoy the views and nature!
    The story you described is very interesting!
    Happy weekend :)

    SvarSlett