The old stave church was built in Sogn in 1150 and moved to Fantoft in 1883.
Consul Fredrik G.Gade bougth the medival part of the church
and then moved it into parts and rebuilt it at Fantoft
On june 6,1992 ,the church burned down almost to the ground.
What remained were skeletal remains without any bearing capacity.
The suspect was Varg Vikernes.Later a garage also burned that kept parts of the church that had been saved during the fire.The reconstruction was a challenge for builders and carpenters,as stave churches in Norway had not been built for many centuries,and the excisiting buildning knowledge was modest.Most of buildning sections were also made on site accordings to measurement and existing drawnings.Wood from Kaupanger was used in the new church-
The crucifix in the choir is carved by Sven Valevatn(My teacher during my time at Voss Kunsthåndtværk skole.They taught me to do blacksmith work and carvings in wood.) and painted by Solrun Nes.There was very little that could be used from the old church,but a wishing stone,possible a relic,found in one wall and the cross on the altar must be from the original churchThe current owner,The Horn family,paid for the reconstruction ,which was complede and inaugrated in 1997
Fantoft Stave church is closed for the winther,It opens again in spring 2020.Then you can go inside have a look and feel how it really was in those days.When I was a little girl I used to play around the church.I had a Schæfer dog to accompany me so I was never afraid..I still remember the smell of burnt tar around the first floor were I did use to play in the tunnels of a viking hall.
Thanx for visiting and hope you like it.
Greetings Anita


A great feature, Anita; very enjoyable. It is always a tragedy to lose these old building which are so much a part of the patrimony of a nation, and can connect present inhabitants with the past. It was great to hear that, accompanied by your dog, you played without fear.
SvarSlettThank you David!Yes it was a nice time back then..And it is beautiful to stay there even today..very peaceful and calm
SlettStave churches are both beautiful and fascinating, and the fact that most if not all European churches are constructed on what once was heathen ground makes them all the more intriguing. In a sense, it is like carrying the "old faith" along into the "new faith."
SvarSlettYour story here is interesting, as well, and I did enough research to learn a bit about Varg Vikernes. I thought it sort of humorous that he once had a band named for the world's best known assault rifle = the Avtomat Kalashnikova.
I cannot imagine how totally destroyed buildings can be remade in their original image. I suppose it is mostly a matter of having them look like they originally did from the outside. My apartment in Warsaw was in a building which had been utterly destroyed by the Germans during the Warsaw Uprising in 1944, but, gauging from comparing old photographs to the rebuilt structure, they appeared to be exact twins.
Your connection to the individual who carved the crucifix in the choir also is interesting and worth special memories.
There are a few stave churches in this region, including one in Minot, North Dakota, which is a replica of the Gol Stave Church in Oslo, and one in Rapid City, South Dakota, which is a copy of the Borgund Stavkirke in Laerdal, Norway. I have seen neither, but hope to visit at least one before my "road trip" ends.
All right, vakker byjente, now I will turn my attention to your last comment at my post. By the way, I have been told on occasion that I am such a serious person that it is depressing to be around me. I am glad you do not feel that way. All in the eye of the beholder, I guess .... later, Anita .... kyss og klem ....
Thank you Fram.Yes indeed it is interesting why they did build new churches in a simple standard over those old Stavchurches,,-they sold many many to Germany,,Still one can find much of those old portals in barns ect ect people before (the old ones still prayed to the norse Odin and -Thor specially when Christianity did not funk for them..As an example they hated Catholism because of the many holidays to pray..Then they could not work on their farmland you see,,and lost alot of money..Many times i wondered why Varg (Wolf)did fire down the Stavchurch..and after alot of digging in to his personal life..He said The Stavchurch was placed right upon a sacred "Blote plass" and he did not want that..Very ssd,,-but i think they did a great job restoring it..Yes both those years in artacademy at Voss were great days..but very cold at voss..One thing i remember is when washing the floor..the water bacame to ice before it hit the ground..I understand why they used bearclothes in those old days..today it is a milder clima but stil down to 30 minus a normal temperature during winther..Valevatn was a great teacher..on of Norways great men but very strickt..You had to do all correct or it was dismissed..Ok i could talk about the norse time carving and Stavxhurch for a whole night but have to end it now as you day it could becomne a novel hih hih
SlettHello Anita,
SvarSlettVery special to see that church on that wonderful location.
Sad to hear that he burned down after the move. But he has been beautifully restored. Magnificent.
Best regards,
Marco
thank you very much Marco!
SlettHi Anita, nice photos of Norway. I always go to Denmark. I will follow you. Greetings Caroline
SvarSletthttps://carolinesnatuurfotografie.blogspot.com/
thank you Caroline!!Big hugs!
SlettThank you for visiting my blog. Have a nice weekend. Greetings Caroline
SvarSlettCaroline.I am so happy I found your blog!1Very nice photoes from Germany and Netherland!!I love your birds and dogs and those beautiful Castles!!Shlossen!
SlettHave you ever heard of Shlossen Neck??Vera Schlossen Neck?Iam into som work about old Germany castles and looking for abanoded castles east and west Germany(Old time)Therfor I am found of all i can find of people taken shoots in Nether land and Germany.Beside i love those countries..Has a great history and much beautiful too see..ok have a happy sunday!!
Wonderful church!
SvarSlettGlad to hear the church has been saved.
Wow, so you know how to do blacksmith? That's amazing :)
Have a great Sunday, Anita!
Hello!!Evi!
SlettYes I do hehehehe..First time i went to the arbiedsrom "essen"I did not know what to expect and I had a white wollen sweather on..You can imagine alot of laugh from the boys!!hahaha
But i quickly got the working clothes on hehehe Yes i made those cobber sticks with Pan and Afrodithe ..Alot of blacksmith work as old" lysestaker" and some sculpturs child and mother and father..Thank you very much for reading Evi..
Hello Anita,
SvarSlettthis kind of church building is already unique, the art of the finest, here with me in the vicinity there is also a stave church, which it is worthwhile to look at once
Greetings Frank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iDk1OaK754
thank you Frank!!I shall visit your link!Those were great artsmen those days..I love those dragons and old icons..And thinking of the poor farmers and rich farmers who went there to listen to God
Slettok happy sunday!
Gracias Si es una iglesia muy muy bonita!!Un furtae abrazo para ti !!
SvarSlettSaludos y besos!xxx
Hej vännen!
SvarSlettDen är så fin och fantastisk som ett konstverk... !
Allt gott till er alla vännen..
Kram på er // Roger och Boel
Tusen takk Roger!xxx
SvarSlettHi Anita, I'm coming back!
SvarSlettHave a wonderful day.
thank you for the visit Evi!Wish you a happy weekend!
SlettBien por esta estupenda restauración. La arquitectura de madera es una maravilla. El lugar es precioso Anita. Aprender siempre gusta, me alegra que sepas trabajar el hierro.
SvarSlettTe deseo buena noche.
Un abrazo.
Gracias Laura, siempre me haces tan feliz.Un saludo desde Noruega
SlettHi Anita, nice photos of this beautiful church. Is this church for Norway ? I know the churches in Danmark. Have a nice weekend. Thank you for visiting my blog. Greetings Caroline
SvarSlettHi Caroline!Yes the church is here were I live..Ten minutes away with the fast local train :))Thank you for the visit!
SlettBellissime fotografie.
SvarSlettBuon fine settimana.
Gracias Giancarlo!Yo no the conozce pero estoy muy alegro de verte agui:)))
SvarSlett