Kitty Cat! Shame on you!

Today I had to take a walk around the bird water where I live. 
The last pictures from my bird group were, to say the least, shocking.
Know that cats are wild animals but to take a whole duck is absolutely incredible to me.I have never seen anything like that
  
 Photo ny Olav Aga
The cat was dragging on a duck away from the water. An hour later it was in place again at the feeding site for the ends. Some say that cats are not nature.
Cats are not a natural part of the ecosystem in Norway
I think a cat is cat, a wild animal.
.But this behavior is completely different
 Now I think may be he dont have any owners..
Or do he do this just for fun??

 Mix of different water birds..Some tame ducks
 (the one with the white chest)escapeded from local farms in Sweden!
(!Yes we managed to track it)
 Here kitty cat is back hunting!
 I think it is very relaxing going feedin the ducks!Very cute as well
Sparrow on a tree
 We got alot of The Eurasian wigeon, also known as widgeon(Brunakke)
I counted about 25 around in the grass
They are here every year before moving east
 One of my favourite!!Heh heh he is not very pretty but sooo tame
I alwasy say Hi Dahling and he jumps to get a piece of bread '
I think it soon time for  to hang out bird food.
 I had bought some bird food to have on the balconies
 but had turned it upside down so no one would feed yet.
.Then two birds came  here,  a magpie and a crow.
 - turned bird food around and voila! 
They had access .There was a lot of mess after them

 Ok this was just some  thougts of today!

See you soon!

Anita

22 kommentarer:

  1. Hello Anita:
    It is a tragedy to see cats preying on wild birds. Cats are not native to the ecosystem and should not be permitted to roam free to take a serious toll on local wildlife. Even a well fed domestic cat does not seem to subdue its urge to hunt other creatures. It is a remarkable fact that if I have a dog, I need to buy a licence, have it microchipped, make sure it gets its shots, control it on a leash and so forth. Yet I can own as many cats as I wish without any restrictions and let them travel through the neighbourhood at will, pooping in people's gardens, digging up their vegetation, killing their birds etc. It makes no sense.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. iam trying to figure out cats are not native to the ecosystem..where do they come from then??
      Yes it is strange also here in Norway..you dont have to microcip your cat but dogs need a license..I think in my country they need to work on a law that makes you stand responsible for the cat you buy or get for free..

      Before said under here to -Marco..I think he is a stray cat but then again the fur is very beautiful and clean so very strange!
      Most of us seeing this think it is very sad..Specially the elder..One woman took him and really had a go at him saying Shame on you kitty!

      Ok thanx for reply!I think I soon will do another post hehe I cant have this cat on my blog!Greetings Anita

      Slett
  2. Beautiful photos of the wild birds. But don't like cats taking birds.

    SvarSlett
  3. I have read and assume it to be true that cats are the only creatures other than humankind which kill simply for the hell of it and it is well-documented they wreak havoc on the bird population. I despise people who allow their adorable kitties to roam freely outdoors.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. You are absolutely correct, Fram, the havoc they wreak on bird populations is staggering.

      Slett
    2. But cats can be good to!I think this behavior is extreme..
      As I said to Marco he can not have any owners..and how to eat a duck in an hour an get down to hunt another one??Well so is nature,,very strange,,

      Slett
    3. This cat's behavior is not extreme, Anita. For lack of a better description, each one has a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde personality -- a kindly, cuddly creature and a wanton, ruthless killer. I have seen them kill rabbits and squirrels, as well as birds, and I have little doubt they would take on larger animals, as well.

      I would wager a great deal of money this cat ate little, if any, of this duck. They often kill simply for the hell of it. "Tom" cats (adult male cats) also frequently kill kittens so they can have the mother to themselves. I have seen cats doing what I can only describe as torture with mice, too, rather than outright kill them. I do not think this is a feral (undomesticated) cat, either. Its fur looks too clean and groomed and short.

      David and you are correct regarding the treatment of dogs vs. cats. It is ridiculous to me that there are so many rules, regulations and laws regarding dogs, but nothing pertaining to cats in most regions.

      Having lived a number of years in the country, I am familiar with "packs" of domestic and feral dogs chasing and killing other animals, most notably deer. My feelings about "owners" of such dogs are no different than they are of people who allow their cats to roam free outdoors.

      Slett
    4. Wow!!Packs of dogs killing deer!!Wow!!almost like wolves!!Ohh boy nature seem to me to be more cruel them i ever had thought about here in our "lullaby" world
      The cat seem to be used to humans because he comes with his wiggling tail and want to cuddle..so yes I think he does it for fun..BTW i havent seen him in a day or two..May be he is taken in by the owners..it is very cold outside here..
      Btw in my tree outside the window there was even a cat ,big one ,furry looks, like a Perser sitting in the tree wanting to come in..That the third cat I have seen now in short time beeing outin the cold wanting to come in..But I cant have cats..Have Pelle you know..who -reguallary is here for the weekend!

      Ok thanx for information.Today I will have a long hike in the mountains..need to get out in the free..See you soon!

      Slett
    5. Cats which truly are feral will not allow a person near to them, much less to touch them.

      A Swedish philosopher, Niklas Bostrom, once said: "Had Mother Nature been a real parent, she would have been in jail for child abuse and murder."

      A very accurate statement, I think. Nature is both an impartial provider and an impartial destroyer .... mercy by her is a purely random event. It is her inhabitants which are a blend of good and bad.

      Have a good hike, Anita ....

      Slett
  4. Hello Anita,
    What a story about these cat and ducks.
    Ducks are always nice and all human enjoy of them and likes to feed them with bread. But it is terrible for us to see how the cat takes this duck for a meal. But wild animals have this behavior.
    Your pictures are very nice Anita and enjoy your walks.

    Big hug, Marco

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. thank you Marco!I agree wild animals have this behavior..
      I really dont know what to say..Mostly people think it is sad..Some even think to shoot him but that is also going wild..i think he dont have any owners..Best is if the pet rescue takes him in..But also very strange a big big make duck could be taken like this..Ok thanx for reply!

      Slett
  5. Det var en berättelse att komma ihåg! I Sverige tar katter MER än 10 miljoner fåglar. Varje år. Fascineras än mer av din berättelse om fågelmatningen. Håller på att läsa igenom en bok om fåglars intelligens och det framgår av forskningsrönen att speciellt kråkfåglar är mycket, mycket smartare än vi tror!
    Hälsningar,
    Deerhunter

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Hei!Så fint!Ja de er smarte kråkene og skjærene!Jeg skal jammen prøve å filme eller ta bilder av dem.De er her vær dag.Har en stooor Tuja, utenfor mitt vindu.som de ,Skjærene hadde reir i sommer og jeg tror barna er dem som gjester treet og ja min balkong med innpakket fuglemat..Jeg liker dem da jeg!Vil ikke si det høyt men gleeder meg slik til snøen faller og en kan se fuglespor og annet tydeligere..Spennende den boken du leser..Lurer på hva den heter..Ja mye diskusjoner ang den anden,-også her i min fugle gruppe(Fugler i -hordaland)De fleste er negativ til katter..Ok takk for ditt svar!Kjekt å høre fra deg!

      Slett
  6. Oh no! The cat is rude! so sorry to ducks :(
    Lovely to see them on the water, your favorite one is so cute!

    Have a great day, Anita!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. yes very rude!!Hope the duck didnt suffer to much but I quess he did

      Thanx for comment Evi!

      Slett
  7. Hej !
    Jodå katter kan ta stora djur ..Vi hade en katt för många år sedan som tog fullvuxna harar..! Kan du tänka dig det , en fullvuxen hare är större än katten och springer fort..
    Duktiga jägare är dom ..
    Allt väl med Anita och alla ? Hoppas det och sänder en en extra varm kram!!
    Ha det bäst / Boel o Roger

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Tusen takk Roger!Alt bra her i kulden:))))Tenk at en katt kan ta en hare!!wow!!

      Slett
  8. Nice photographs. I had no idea that a kitty would go for a duck like that.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. True I was kind of schocked!thanx for coming here !

      Slett